May Day is a traditional springtime celebration observed on May 1. In days past, small baskets filled with flowers and treats were left on older neighbors’ doorsteps by children, then the doorbell was rung and the gift-giver ran away. Celebrate the joy of spring by decorating a small jar with ribbon, and then filling it with flowers to surprise your friend, family, teacher or coworker.
You may use any flower of your choosing, but here are some common spring blooms:
Make a May Basket
Marbles or stones (optional)
1. To make a basket-style holder for the flowers, secure a wire around the mouth of the jar by twisting and tightening the two wire ends together.
2. You may want to place a handful of marbles or stones in the jar, to prevent it from tipping.
3. Feed a cut piece of ribbon through the secured wire and knot the ends together to create a loop from which to hang the basket. Use an additional length of ribbon to tie a decorative bow around the jar.
4. Next, fill the jar with water and add flowers of your choosing to complete your modern May basket.
5. Don’t forget to tuck in a tag that wishes a Happy May Day! If you want the gift to be a fun mystery for your friend to figure out, then don’t sign your name.